I set stakes and string to mark out the paths and positions of the beds. The boys drove me nuts so I sent them to the backyard to play so I could think. My homestead is in its infancy. I bought clothes line and pins today. Tomorrow I'm stringing up the line to trees until I can get real clothes line posts up. I also baked 2 loaves of bread and am stopping the madness of spending nearly $3 a loaf at the grocery store. The boys (including my husband) go through 4 loaves a week. Jeez! I have everything I need to start making my own preserves and will do my first batch this week. I used to help my mom ions ago...so I'll be looking online for a good recipe.
I would love to be as close to off the grid as possible. This is Florida, we average 280.00 a month for electric and water in this tiny house. I remembered my grandparents had an attic fan (now called a whole house fan). I looked it up and they are so inexpensive. It could save us up to 80% of our electric bill to use the house fan and stop using our dryer. And....if I can have a solar panel installed to power the fan...oh yea, I'm loving this. I mentioned it to Mike during his break at work...he is slow to change...he's still warming up to the garden in the front yard and it's not even in yet. So I'm really going to have to do my homework on this one. Wish me luck.
Thank you for reading and please let me know what you think. I'm the only one taking my family on this crash course in homesteading. I'd love to know if you think I'm on the right track or if there are other ideas I should consider.
Peace to you and yours!
1 comment:
i say full speed ahead! when everyone around you is doing one thing and you want to do what others did but now don't do, you will feel alone. i love your ideas. a little at a time. good!
Post a Comment