Country Background

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Cheerio Convalesces

Cheerio is back in the house in his crate. I gave him 3 days in one of the big oaks in our backyard. He was out in the morning and would come down just before dinner. I would put him back in the crate in the sun room (safe from the cats). He was climbing all over the sun room. Then he stayed outdoors 3 nights. He was doing great. I would check on him and make sure he was eating and showed him how to dig in the ground for nuts. Then the worst happened.

It was a set up. Bones was stalking him on the ground as he looked for food. Fate was on Cheerio's side the other day. I was in my room, next to a window by the oak. I heard his LOUD squeaking. Out the window I saw Cheerio on his back with Bones towering over him. I jerked the window open and yelled at Bones, my husband and kids darted outside to get Cheerio. He limped to the tree and climbed up to our eye level. He wouldn't let us hold him and he crawled up the tree out of sight, in obvious pain. I went back out after dinner and he came to me and let me bring him inside.

Today Cheerio is much better. Though he isn't climbing yet, he is able to walk around the crate without grumbling. He has a good appetite and is drinking water. I am hopeful he will make a full recovery and for now he is definitely on the mend.

1 comment:

Hopeful said...

wow, cheerio has a lot of luck on his side!! what do you think you're going to do with him? i wonder if you called an animal rehab place if they could tell you the best way to get him back to the wild before he gets too darned tame! but, you guys sure have helped that little guy. man, he's been through a lot!