Country Background

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Opposition on the Front Lines of Simplicity

To say you want a simpler life and live off the fruits of your labors is an endeavor that isn't for the faint of heart.  It can be a novel idea that seems charming.  Oh, look she wants a garden or look she's hanging laundry on a clothes line strung between trees.
To go off and plan on raised garden beds the questions start:  "How much is this going to cost?  What will people think, it's in the front yard?"  Then the idea of using a whole house fan instead of the AC. We could save approximately 25 to 40 percent off our electric bill each year.  It saves electricity and is inexpensive to buy and install.  Well that garners the question, "What about the humidity?  What's the point of spending at least $500.00 dollars only to save on 25% of our electricity bill."   I want to cancel cable and do a basic basic but only if it doesn 't exceed 10.00 to 15.00 dollars a month.  Then I get, "What about the DVR?  I reply "no DVR".  But..."what about the internet"?  We can find an alternative source that is cheaper than a bundled plan, I answer.  "How much is that?" ARGGG!!!!
And so it goes....Then the creme de la creme!  "Why can't you get a job as a CNA and work 24 hours a week? Well I need to get my CNA and I will.  We discussed that last week.  But now it has a sense of urgency.   As much as my husband wants a simpler life that includes downsizing the bills and saving more he hates change.  It isn't an easy decision to step out of mainstream America.  There are a lot of creature comforts that will shift for us but I can't help but believe, in my heart, it's for the better.
I'm running with my dream and he has to hold on tight for the ride.
I just pulled the second load of laundry off the line.  It smells wonderful and didn't require one ounce of electricity!

2 comments:

Hopeful said...

keep holding tight to your dream! yes, change is soooo hard - esp. the type of change we and others are looking for. hope you both can just keep plugging ahead and don't look back!!

Cheryl at The Cottage Times said...

That's the plan. We'll bloom where we're planted and take everything we learn with us when we eventually move. Thanks for following me, it's great to hear encouragement.