Country Background

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Before Kraft, Gerber, and Purina came along


The thought of living here a while longer isn't so bad.  I can say that now when weather isn't as hot and humid.  I went out today to find canning supplies to make homemade preserves and No Luck.  I looked at the closest stores K-mart and Big Lots.  I'm going to hit thrift and antique stores this week.   I make due with what I have in my kitchen but forging ahead into self sufficiency has me on a scavenger hunt.  I refuse to buy anything made in China.  I prefer to go to my favorite antique stores for kitchen must haves and I love it.   I think about how many meals were cooked with the old castoffs.
There is a since of entitlement that has grown over the years and I don't want to be a part of it. I prefer the seemingly underground movement of homesteading.  It isn't as obscure as I once thought.  There more I dig  the more I realize how many people are being called back to the land.
So!  Here's my wish list.  I want a clothes line.  I'm going to start curb hopping for discarded wood planks and beams to make raised garden beds and a chicken coop.  I'll buy the fencing unless I find that too.  It's amazing the "stuff" folks throw away.  
What did we do when there was no Gerber, Purina, Kraft etc...How did we go from scratch meals to microwaves.  Our microwave broke a few years ago and I told my husband I didn't want another one.  I never had one before we got married 11 years ago and we're just fine without it.  Last week I told him I want  to cancel cable when our commitment is over next year.  We have a dvr and hbo but why?  Yes, I'm spoiled with the dvr but we never watch HBO.  He looked at me like I was crazy (he does that a lot).  But after thinking about it he loved the idea.  We have our dvd player and can see whatever we want from the library.  The internet offers as much information as we need.  At what point do we become too connected, are we really connected or full of useless information?    
So this high maintenance girl is angling for a clothes line and chicken coop to get things started.  Small steps. I'm making Christmas this year and every year.  No more cadmium/lead filled toys.  This year its fancy homemade aprons, preserves, wine and a book for each family.  I'm looking for creative ideas for the kids.  Any tips?  Let me know.  I've babbled long enough but it feels good to blog out loud.
Take Care and Peace!

No comments: