Country Background

Friday, July 22, 2011

We went to the beach this afternoon after work.  The water was so warm.  I love to sit and listen to the waves and wind.  It centers me.  As I sat watching shells wash in with each wave it was so peaceful.  The ocean doesn't know about jobs or housework.  Nature doesn't concern itself with debt ceilings, unemployment rates or traffic.  It is truly zen.  Nature as it should be, uninterrupted and pure.  It makes me realize how complicated we can make life, if we chose to.  Being in the hubbub of everyday life.  All the latest cell phones and ipads, 3D TV...everything is more than I can comprehend owning or even wanting to own.

I don't even want cable but Mike and the boys feel life will come to a screeching halt if we only had basic tv,  even though we could still watch any show on the internet.  I can do without my bundled cable plan and it has finally ended.  I can't wait until my 2 yr commitment with my cell phone company is up so I can just go with a pre paid phone.  They add so many FCC fees and taxes that I'm just not into it.   I'm sure having a phone with the internet, gps, camera and qwerty (what?) is convenient. But I'm not a big fan of having big brother, corp. America out there knowing my every move and storing it. I'm sure it's for marketing but I really don't need GPS.  I've made it across the country several times, on my own, with Rand McNally and don't see the need to spend money on something they are trying to convince us we can't live without!

I have a dream. A simple farm house on a few acres in the Appalachians.  I don't "need" or want granite and stainless steel appliances. I'd love an old stove converted for gas and wood.  A wood burning stove for heat and plenty of quilts and sweaters to keep warm.  My dream car is an American classic.  A 1966 Chevy S-10 Pickup with wood slats and rails in the bed. My fun dream car is a Metropolitan Nash.  It is, hands down, just the sweetest car in the whole world.   My dream also includes no tv, just internet, a garden, plenty of fabric, books and time to home school my boys.  Insert "I've got a golden ticket" winning the lottery so we can do all of this without juggling work, farm, family, homeschooling and well...see how easy it is to make life busy/complicated.  Work requires a certain amount of office politics and a lot of time that can equal a steady amount a stress.  So this is my day dream.  We are working so hard for this right now.  One thing at a time.

Besides, a girl can dream, right?  This is mine.  A mini farm for my family. A legacy to leave for my kids and a small slice of peace.



Peace to you and yours.

2 comments:

Dollwood Farms said...

I'm with you sistah, lol. I long for the mountains too and live in Florida. My sis & I talk all the time about moving to the NC in the heart of the mts. :) Good blog, love it!

Cheryl at The Cottage Times said...

Thanks so much!!! Someday...we'll be there but until then I can dream. I look forward to seeing your honey and other sundries online.
Take Care!