Country Background

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Time to make coffee and get ready for work.  I miss being off but am so happy to be contributing financially to  the household again .  The boys miss me, Mike misses the old relaxed me, and the house work is mounting...

I have to create a home schedule so I can keep up.  I'm not good with schedules or structure.  I had a whole lot of it growing up.  That being said, my mom had to take care of the 4 of us while my dad was out at sea 6 months at a time.  My dad was so regimented (from the Navy) that my brothers, sister and I used to have white glove inspections on our rooms and rotating chores.

My kids have to keep their room clean and pick up after themselves.  I want them to be kids a bit longer before schedules and adult responsibilities kick in.  With that said, Brian always takes out the recycling and brings the garbage to the curb. But not because he has to. It's his thing and gets upset if someone else does it.  He also loves to rake leaves and pick up outside.  Alex's only "chore" is feeding the animals.

But now that the household is always in some form of disarray and home school is around the corner I have to get organized.  I'm going to...but I really don't want to.  The fact is, Mike and I are blessed.  He is still working 2 jobs and I have a job that started out part time and is now nearly full time. So 3 jobs, 2 boys, 3 cats, 2 dogs.  I've been overwhelmed the past couple of months and I realize this is all due to me not being organized.  I need laundry and grocery days.  Crock pot meals that create left overs for easy 2nd day dinners.  So far I've learned, when in doubt, buy milk and an extra loaf of bread.

A few questions,
Why do men use bath towels to clean/wipe up everything?
Is there a cat litter that really works?
Is it possible to use the same glass all day and just wash it out before refills?
Why do forks disappear?
     
I come home and the house is messy, dishes are in the sink, dinner has to be made and I am bone tired.  Sound familiar?   Sure it does.  I know I'm not the only one.  I'm a firm believer that women bare the responsibility of keeping a home.  Men don't think in the middle of work, "What am I going to make for dinner?"  No way,  they think, "I wonder what's for dinner tonight?"   I don't mean to "man" bash.  It's a simple fact. How many times have you come from work, barely put your purse down and been asked where the remote is?  Do we have anymore toilet paper?  Have you seen my...(put anything you'd like to complete this question)?

I rush to work and rush home to...be a wife and a mom.  That's the best part.  But, I'll be better at both when I get organized.   It's 8am and I have to get to work.  Thanks for reading.  Here's hoping you are much better at staying relaxed in hectic times than I am!

Peace to You and Yours!

2 comments:

Denise said...

With me and my husband working full time, we use our glasses all day and sometimes the next too only if we have been drinking water out of them. Milk glasses have to be washed out everytime. I use either the Swheat cat litter or the pine one. They dont have to be cleaned out as often and I have found that the pine one works really well for multiple cats (I have four). We use old towels and cut up underwear for wipe ups. If I wipe up something really nasty I dont feel too bad about throwing it away. When cotton ones get too worn out, they can be composted too. Your kids could help you out with the clothes as well. Learning how to do laundry is a good skill for them to learn as they will have to do this when they get out on their own.

Cheryl at The Cottage Times said...

I'm going to try the pine. I haven't heard of Swheat litter. Is that spelled right. I recycle everything too. Old t'shirts and towels. You're so right about the boys doing laundry. I'm going to begin 'life skill' classes for them this year for home school. They started helping me hang the laundry and Brian always folds his clothes and puts them away. My biggest problem is I have to make a specific day to grocery shop, 2 days to do laundry and create a menu plan that's easier when I get home. My husband grew up not having to lift a finger, his mom did everything. He helps me with everything now. When I grew up my brothers and I did it all. I'm definitely teaching them how to take care of a home and live off the land. Thanks for the tips and for reading!

Take Care!