Living a simpler life isn't really simple. It's a lifestyle change even when you think you keep it simple. A commitment to be kind to the earth and also to your community. Supporting small businesses, growing what you eat and if possible raising it as well.
I was talking to my dad yesterday who is 72. He grew up on a farm in Louisiana. They didn't have electricity or running water. They had a 2 seater outhouse in the back and every morning my dad had to hand pump water from the well and split wood to get the stove warmed up before breakfast. This all had to be done before school. While he did his chores my grandpa would feed and water the animals and my grandma would collect eggs from the coop and cook breakfast.
My grandpa made money growing cotton and if the bug spray for the cotton got on the vegetable garden nearby those vegetables were no good. Everything was timed and when the harvest came in my dad was pulled from school to work the fields for weeks on end. All the kids were. That's why schools use the agrarian calender today. It's from a time long passed.
If they didn't grow it, raise it or hunt it they didn't eat. Money from the cotton purchased flour, sugar and the like. Grandma made shirts and quilts from the flour sacks. I remember when I was little visiting my great grandma during the winter. It was so cold and drafty in her house. I laid on a rope bed covered with so many quilts I couldn't roll over. They were so heavy and I was barely 5. My sister had to help me lift them to move and we snuggled to keep warm.
My grandma had a hand crank washing machine and right next to it was the wash board because sometimes it did a better job! They also had a smoke house for the meat and an outdoor pantry where all the canned goods were kept. They had pigs, chickens and cows. Even a couple of horses. I loved going to visit my grandparents. I can still smell the farm to this day. This lifestyle is in my blood and even after living in a big city I couldn't get it out if I tried and I never want to.
3 comments:
I love this post. It reminds me of my great aunt. When my brothers and I were younger, we would stays weeks with her in the summer. She had an outhouse and a water pump over her sink. She would leave a chamber pot in a closet for us to use during the night. When she finally got a bathroom inside, we had a huge BBQ to celebrate..like a mini reunion! We have some great memories from being at her house...I really miss the simpler times.
Trying to get your address for Jenna's book swap. I emailed you but got no response. Maybe the address wasnt right? You can email me by going to my blog. I have a button to email me there.
So glad I sent you books that you didnt have. Hope you like reading them! My book is coming from France...Cant believe that someone would want to send a book from France. I think the postage would be very high.
Post a Comment