As I work my job and help spin the corporate wheel I am hard pressed to find anything "Made in America". Every item in our homes are filled with "Made in China or Mexico". Why?
Think about all of the industries that have gone by the wayside:
Textiles
Automotive
Steel workers
Furniture
Appliances....countless others I don't know about.
Why do we, as American consumers, continue to purchase items made from foreign countries? The very things we used to make here in America. We've made great leaps detrimental to our well being as a nation when we let our jobs be outsourced by big corporations that moved out in favor profit margins.
Companies figured out if they build a car that lasts 5 years (instead of 20) we'll buy more. Then they figured out it is cheaper to manufacture in poor economy's where they don't need to offer benefits to be competitive with American companies and the average salary is pennies to our dollar. The companies that are hired overseas to manufacture don't have the regulations that we have. So we buy products like toys that are filled with lead and cadmium.
What do we do? We go to the big box stores and spend. We lost our jobs to the greed of few and and in the process lost our integrity. Right now at least 40 cents of every dollar that is spent by the government is borrowed from China. We desperately need to support local business, small business and stop buying from mega companies.
I believe the greatest way we, as Americans, can celebrate Independence Day is to free ourselves from the companies that have taken our jobs overseas. We give them power by paying for the products, they convinced us we can't live without.
We have purchased everything we need to live to the point that cooking meals from scratch is a novelty and knowing how to grow vegetables, sew clothes and knit our own sweaters and socks is a lost art. An art now that used to be a way of life. All because we gave up trades that established this country to companies that sold us out. Our jobs will only come back when we stop buying from off shore companies and this country will right itself when this happens.
The media says were are in a "Great Recession". I believe we are in a depression. Jobs are scarce and there are approximately 25 million people unemployed or under-employed. As well, there are 47 Million people on food stamps.
Everything should start at the local level. I am pledging that my family is going to buy American only, local produce and meat from this day forward. If I can't find it, need it, and am unable to make it, (whatever it may be) I will buy it used. From this day forward I support local farmers and small business 100%.
So on this 4th of July I am declaring my independence from corporate America.
I wish everyone a safe, happy holiday.
Peace and Blessings from my family to yours.
What do we do? We go to the big box stores and spend. We lost our jobs to the greed of few and and in the process lost our integrity. Right now at least 40 cents of every dollar that is spent by the government is borrowed from China. We desperately need to support local business, small business and stop buying from mega companies.
I believe the greatest way we, as Americans, can celebrate Independence Day is to free ourselves from the companies that have taken our jobs overseas. We give them power by paying for the products, they convinced us we can't live without.
We have purchased everything we need to live to the point that cooking meals from scratch is a novelty and knowing how to grow vegetables, sew clothes and knit our own sweaters and socks is a lost art. An art now that used to be a way of life. All because we gave up trades that established this country to companies that sold us out. Our jobs will only come back when we stop buying from off shore companies and this country will right itself when this happens.
The media says were are in a "Great Recession". I believe we are in a depression. Jobs are scarce and there are approximately 25 million people unemployed or under-employed. As well, there are 47 Million people on food stamps.
Everything should start at the local level. I am pledging that my family is going to buy American only, local produce and meat from this day forward. If I can't find it, need it, and am unable to make it, (whatever it may be) I will buy it used. From this day forward I support local farmers and small business 100%.
So on this 4th of July I am declaring my independence from corporate America.
I wish everyone a safe, happy holiday.
Peace and Blessings from my family to yours.
No comments:
Post a Comment