Country Background

Friday, September 3, 2010

I don't know what I'm going to do with my Cats!

Early yesterday morning I woke to a squeaky toy noise. A really loud squeaky toy. I couldn't figure it out and tried to block it out in my deep sleep but there was no getting around it. The sound was getting louder and I stumbled out of bed looking for what it was and thinking "We don't have any squeaky toys".
I knew it was the cats and thought they may have caught a bird. Instead I went into the dining room and found a tiny headless creature hanging onto my curtains. My cat, Bones, was toying with a baby squirrel that had it's head tucked under its body holding on for dear life. Literally!
The kids heard the commotion we rushed Bones out of the house and pulled the tiny thing off my curtain. She was shaking like a leaf. I don't know what I'm going to do with my cats? The 3 of them bring us treasures everyday. Now we have this tiny squirrel that is in a small dog crate, burrowed in a towel safe and sound. She's healthy, her eyes are open and she has her teeth but isn't eating yet. I made a quick trip to PetSmart and the guy there told me he had rescued several squirrels and that she should be ready to be on her own in a few weeks. I bought peanuts, sunflower seeds and cheerios. She's been drinking water diluted Gatorade out of a dropper to keep hydrated but today I'm going to buy puppy formula. Alex named her Cheerio.
Yep, it's a good start to homeschooling this year with the kids learning how to care for a wild animal and get her back into the trees in our backyard.

1 comment:

Hopeful said...

Wow, i hope you keep us posted on how cheerio does! i bet it's a cutie!