Country Background

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Treasures at Charlies

I don't shop at malls or boutiques.  My favorite place in the world to find clothes and shoes is a thrift store I call Charlies.  That isn't its real name, but over the years we adopted the name for it.  Besides it's a front for a very rich man locally, that is making a crazy amount of money getting everything donated (in honor of Vietnam Vets) free and only taking cash for whatever you buy.  He only donates 1% to veterans.  Since everything is paid in cash I'm sure he can work the numbers anyway he pleases for April taxes.

Even though I help pay for his luxurious lifestyle, I am saving my family a TON of money!  I find quality clothes for my entire family as well as drapes, bedding, and every other cast off someone had no use for.  There are different colored tags on all the merchandise and everyday 3 colors are picked to be discounted.  Today Blue and White tags were 50% off and Green was 75% off.  Sometimes the prices are just way over the top and I don't pay it.   So today I was looking for dresses that have a lot of fabric to re-purpose.  Well, I found a beautiful designer gown made in France that was marked $9.95 and was 1/2 off!  Yea, I bought it.  I found the designer on Google and he is very good, but I didn't find the exact dress.  That would have been too exciting. 
I tried to take a picture but it just looked like a sack on a hanger and it needs to be steamed.

So...I'm going sell it and make a prom girl very happy this year.   The girl in me loves the thought of keeping it...but why?  So...I'm selling it.  I was able to buy 2 dresses, 2 pairs of pants, 1 pair of levi's shorts and about 10 t-shirts for all the boys, a pocket purse that matches a hip purse I have (also bought used) and 5 really cool, big, antique spools that I need to look up info on. (see above and tell me what you think?)  All this for the low price of $60.00.  It's a lot of money but the boys are growing so fast and Alex keeps wearing his dad's t-shirts and Brian needed some long pants.  So...instead of going to wally world where the clothes just don't last with my boys, I'm able to buy better made clothes for pennies on the dollar.

I love thrifting!  It's the thrill of the deal that I enjoy.  You just have to be careful not to go overboard and buy things you don't need.  Like an evening gown! :)   Did I mention that last week I bought a painting for $2.95 and it's a German painter and is worth between $100.00 and $300.00.  I am a HUGE fan of amateur art and I knew this was piece was special.  I put a few pictures of my favorites including the one on the left here that I bought last week.

Thanks for reading!  I love to hear from you!!!

2 comments:

Ngo Family Farm said...

Wow, you are an excellent thrifter! I love those big spools :) Thanks for sharing your neat finds.
-Jaime

Cheryl at The Cottage Times said...

Hi Jaime,
Thank you! It's always wonderful to hear from my readers. Thanks for sharing. I used to live in Colorado and loved it. I'll start posting more of my finds as they come along. I'm starting a website and may start letting go of some of my "treasures" and selling them. My little house doesn't have room for all of them...Thanks again!
Cheryl