Country Background

Friday, February 24, 2012

My Sunroom

During the week Mike and I frequent our favorite thrift stores.  It's what we do.  Me with my paint cards and fabric swatches and batches here and there and Mike with his love of tool boxes and old tools.  We are a couple made in heaven.  My house is tiny and we have some managed to squeeze our creative vices into this small space we call home.  This week we went to a new store that opened 2 months ago.  They have vendors with produce outside, an inside area for antiques and in the back a flea market style selling area.


As I walked around the antique side I found a living room set that, for me, was the quintessential cottage dream come true.  It as a down sofa and chair with ottoman with about 10 down stuffed pillows.  I was in heaven.  Too good to be true!


 It had wear and tear and I don't believe the slip covers had ever been laundered.  Mike looked at me with the of "money" in his eyes.  I'm not working and we aren't loaded by any stretch of the imagination.  I knew this wasn't going to happen so I took a million pictures and as Mike and walked around he knew I loved it.  He really is the most amazing husband in the world.  So he asked "how much is it?"

I know a deal when I see it and I told him, $325.00 for all of it.  He shook his head at the money and asked where are we going to put it.  I have no idea.  I mean our house it SMALL!  He knew I loved it and I asked if they would take $200.00.  Yes!  It was ours if we wanted it.  Mike's tension increased and couldn't believe he took our first offer.  We don't even own a truck to haul it, he says.  The manager tells us the fellow in the back will deliver it for $20.00.  At the end of the day we got the set for 200.00 including tax plus 30.00 for the delivery plus tip!

In the garage it went.  I washed all of the slip covers and measured the sofa.  It would fit perfect in our "catch all" sun room.  When I say catch all, it looks like a hoarder lives there.  All of my sewing projects, fabric, paint samples, extra furniture, tons of books that don't fit on the 2 bookcases and then some are in there.

This past week I've taken on a project never I've never attempted and found an "Amazing deal" on a living room set at a new antique store/flea market/farmers market a few mile from my house. 


So I cleaned out all of my "stuff" from the sun room and made it proper! I won't post the picture of what's left to find a place for!   I worked my behind off moving the entire room out so I could get the sofa in and then moved a few items back in.  I now have a sanctuary just for me.  I can read, surf, quilt and just be, whatever my heart desires.  It feels like a cabin.  The ceiling is wood lap board that gives a comfy feel I love.  The wall are solid concrete so hanging art is going to be a challenge I can tackle in a week or two.  I have the perfect mom getaway.


Now....what to do with a pile of crafty, fabric, tables, desk  and odds and ends?  I seriously need to downsize and am going to sell whatever I haven't used or love.  Back to opening a booth at an antique store.

I have piles of books, quilts, coverlets, duvets, prints, paintings, furniture and everything in between.  Today I'll be boxing up a portion of what's below and finding a home for what I can't live without!  Then of course, I'll be completing my slip cover for my wing back.


I love the changes and seeing my tiny house become a home one project at a time.  

Take care everyone!

2 comments:

Steffi said...

Ahh, it looks lovely! :)

Cheryl at The Cottage Times said...

Thank You!!! It's the only room in our tiny house that isn't cluttered with whatnot. :)