Country Background

Friday, February 24, 2012

New Chair Ugly Fabric, Making a Slip Cover




I got a deal at my favorite thrift store a week ago.  A $5.00 wing chair in perfect condition with ugly fabric.  So...I'm making a slip cover for it.  It's my first attempt and I'm crossing my fingers I get it right.  I'm putting pictures below.  I bought a 9x12 canvas drop cloth from Lowes for $26.00 and a paper/plastic drop cloth for $7.00 to make a pattern.  The pictures below show how I pieced the first cloth pieces.  Some of you out there probably know how to do this and right.  So your advice is greatly appreciated.



This was the beginning.


Many Many More Re-pins later....


Hopefully once I unpin the template I'll be able to cut the pattern pieces out and sew.  I've made notes as I pin the template together on which order ( I believe) it should be stitched in.


I have to work on the bottom.  I want to do a inverted pleat at the corners and I didn't allow for the back panel to have a split with another inverted pleat to add ties to.  I'm going to fine tune it as a go.  I left an extra one inch allowance to fine tune the fit and of course pre-washed the drop cloth.

Today I have to buy piping.  I'm going to use an alternate fabric to pipe the canvas to add contrast and detail.  
I love this project.  I've been so focused on this project I've spent 4 hours a day for 2 days doing the pattern.  I'm hoping to have it complete by the end of the weekend.

However, I know it's always a bad idea to stick to deadlines.  That is where the work can get messy in an attempt to "just get it done".  I don't want that.  I want this as close to perfect as reasonably possible given my inexperience.   My hope is that this will turn out really good and I will start buying and recovering like sized chairs, use the existing template and sell them.  Either way, this one is Mine!  I may have a hard time selling it.  But with a total investment of $40.00,  I could be persuaded to sell at the right price.

More pics to come as make more progress.     As always, thank you for reading and your comments are dearly appreciated!!!

Peace to You and Yours!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

What a perfect " farmgirl " project!
It's looking good! Thank you for linking up! I'm your newest follower now too!

Cheryl at The Cottage Times said...

Thank you Deborah Jean!!! It's a work in progress...Thanks for following me and please send any suggestions you have along the way. Have a wonderful day!

Anonymous said...

I'm going to follow this closely. I have two wing backed chairs that need some work. In order to do the work my husband told me we may have to take some of the fabric off...gasp! I've never attempted to recover anything any more complicated than a stool so I'm feeling a nervous.

Cheryl at The Cottage Times said...

Hi Shara,
Thanks...I'll post pictures as I go along. I had hoped to get a start on cutting out the fabric today but had a horrible headache. So tomorrow it is.
By the way, I'm not going to take any fabric off. I'm not that brave! This is going to be a slip cover that I can take off and wash. I look forward to hearing what you think.
Thanks for reading!