Country Background

Friday, February 17, 2012

What's in Your Bread?


There is so much convenience in our society.  Is it a blessing or a curse?  We've been fed a "pile" of information from mass food producers and the FDA for years.  It shouldn't have been a surprise when I read that, L-Cysteine, an additive found in American bread products is mainly produced from HUMAN HAIR!  Human hair that is from the floors of China's hair salons.

In an article on Natural News and countless others on the internet it highlights: 

"While some L-cysteine is directly synthesized in laboratories, most of it is extracted from a cheap and abundant natural protein source: Human Hair..."

You may ask why?  What is the point of adding this component to mass produced bread?  It allows bread to be made faster and look better.  Mass production, appeal and the corporate bottom line. Bake more, faster and we are none the wiser.  


FYI...The UK and EU has banned L-Cysteine made from human hair.


I'm completely disgusted...my kids are too!   I had 3 orders, in one day, for fresh baked bread (from my husband and sons, of course!) I go back and forth with baking bread.  Mainly due to the size of my kitchen.  I think that is the last time I'll use that excuse.   

I've been reading much more on the legalities of additives in our food and bread producers do not have to put their ingredients on the package.  Additives can be anything and they don't have to be disclosed.  If a product contains less than 2% of any ingredient it isn't listed on the ingredients.  

I guess I'm wondering what in the world I've been eating and feeding my family???  

More to come...



No comments: