Country Background

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Homemade Laundry Detergent

I stopped using big name laundry products from stores several months ago.  They are over priced and irritate my skin.  I looked online to find alternatives and found plenty.  I like simple, so I decided on a dry detergent.  My first batch I was skeptical.  Just how good could a simple recipe of 3 products really clean my son's really dirty jeans?  The first load I took my kids grass and dirt stained jeans and put in one scoop of my fresh batch of "homemade" detergent.  The clothes came out completely clean.

It was amazing!  Completely clean with a fresh scent.  I'm not big on scented detergents.  I've seen them, used them and they always made my skin itch and some would even cause a rash.  So I tried a simple recipe of 3 ingredients.

Fels-Naptha or Zote
Borax
Washing Soda

I shred 1 bar of Fels-Naltha and mix with 1 cup of Borax and 1 cup of baking soda.  I put the ingredients into a used coffee tin that I covered with fabric (to make it pretty!) and shake it up to mix well. That's it.  No more big brand laundry detergents and my skin never itches or breaks out in a rash.  If I run a load in the dryer I don't use dryer sheets and the clothes come out smelling fresh!  

I put Zote in the picture but haven't used it yet. I included it because it can be used instead of Fels-Naptha.  Baking Soda or Washing Soda can be used. I have used both in different batches and achieved the same results.

If you shop at Walmart you can find these products in the laundry aisle.  I am finding that they are selling out more often and I hope it's due to more folks making their own detergent.  I'm saving so much money on making my own and it only takes a few minutes to make.

Happy Washing!

2 comments:

Denise said...

I've been making my own dry detergent too for over a year. It's great and it smells even better when you hang the laundry outside. Now to make my own dishwashing detergent...

Cheryl at The Cottage Times said...

If you hand wash your dishes (I do) you can use the Zote bar. It works great and lasts a long time. I hang my clothes out most of the year. Thanks for reading!