The boys started swapping their old xbox games for used ones at the gaming store. We always bought used games before but it added up and they still have too many games. Now they look forward to seeing how much they can get for their "old games".
My husband no longer buys triple venti cafe mochas and I fix most of his meals for work. He also cut out buying the girls on his staff frappes every morning. Needless to say, the staff are mad but you know what? Our budget sure is looking better. We also don't go out to dinner like we used to. It was too much money and the more I cook from scratch, the better I get and now Alex is starting to watch cooking shows with me and encourages me to try new dishes. He helps.
Then there's me! The worst offender. I love going to thrift stores, estate sales and antiquing. I have linens and fabric for projects still to be completed, clothes never worn until I lose weight and countless treasures that I love and bought for really cheap. The problem is...I don't use them. My husband loves thrifting too. He loves books and tools. Honestly, we are both bad. It's not new stuff.
We don't even buy clothes brand new. What's the point? As soon as you walk out the store it's used and most of the clothes and shoes I'm able to buy are barely used at a fraction of the cost. This wasn't a part of our simplifying because we've been doing this since the day we got married.
So, here's the deal. We have a lot of stuff! This week we decided to get a booth at our favorite antique store and set up shop. I can actually make money doing what I love. I can look for cheap stuff and sell it as a profit. Projects I have put off will now be completed so I can sell it. We are on a wait list and hope to get a spot in a month. This is perfect to give me time to set up inventory and design of the space. Right up my alley.
Today we went to an estate sale. I love art. Natural landscapes and folk art are my favorites. If it is by a novice painter....even better. I love love love amateur art. I found a bunch of art laid in the back of a closet that was behind a bunch of stuff. So I dug in. The portfolio I chose was filled with 8 lithographs.
A package of 6 hummingbirds by artist John Gould were brilliant and still in the original portfolio. They are in perfect condition and based on basic research they aren't originals from the late 1800's but from early 1900's and worth quite a bit more than the (drum role please....) $2.00 I paid. Two dollars! I want to frame them and keep them for myself. They are so beautiful. It is crazy the things people are willing to give away for pennies and now...I can happily save these treasures for someone else to appreciate. When I get a new camera I'll post the pics.
1 comment:
wow, that is wonderful! i hope you get a booth soon! you are scoring some good things, whoo hoo! love how you guys are saving money and simplifying. i bet it feels good!
Post a Comment