Country Background

Sunday, July 4, 2010

No Time Like Now

Summer is upon us and I am thinking of winter! I am starting work on an old quilt project. It's only been 10 years. I also want to learn to knit. I always had problems with it when I was younger and blamed it on being a lefty. I found my old quilt squares nice and neat in a ziplock bag waiting patiently to be pieced together.
I am finally allowing myself the decadence of thinking about quilting and knitting. When I got married we had Alex within a year and Brian soon after. I spent 10 years focusing on my family and work. I've been unemployed over a year now and to be honest I haven't felt compelled to do the projects I loved before I married. It's been in the back of my mind but there was a certain amount of guilt. I'm not bringing money into the fold now. That has been for me and Mike.
I am now enjoying being a stay at home mom, wife and homeschooler after a year. There is time to keep the house as I like. I love figuring our new simple recipes to fix. This transition is liberating and confusing. There are times when my husband feels the weight of the house on his shoulders. It isn't easy to bare the brunt of the finances. I am supportive and realize my role in the family holds so much more meaning to me, my boys and even Mike. There is an importance of having the mom home. My kids love it. We are so close as a family. I know this is a blessing and I thank God every day.
So today I revel in my peace. I will quilt and knit and find me again. Sunday evening is spent listening to my favorites: Will Ackerman, Alex DeGrassi. I miss the folk bluegrass radio station I listened to in Ms. so I improvise with the music on my cable.
I'm finding myself again and I'm still same girl from 11 years ago. Take care everyone! Until next time,
Peace

2 comments:

Stacey said...

Enjoy "finding" you again. Rediscovering passions and finding new ones is wonderful. I would love to learn to quilt (need a sewing machine first though). I enjoy knitting. Perhaps if you can find a lefty to show you the ropes it will make it easier to learn?? I bet there are tutorials online and I'm pretty sure that the knitting book I have (Stitch n Bi$@^)has something about lefty knitters.
Enjoy this season and whatever changes may come your way. Life is an adventure..at least that's what I keep telling myself. ;)

-Peace

Hopeful said...

Glad you're settling and feeling more grounded. Maybe do a posting on your quilting and put some pictures up? Hope you have a wonderful beginning of the week.