The yeast stopped percolating and the balloon fell so it was time to check out the bounty of my first effort at homemade wine. It's a very dry wine and I'm not a big fan of dry so I made Sangria out of one bottle. Mike loves it. I'm surprised because he isn't really a wine drinker. The yeast did it's job just fine. Now I want to try it again but with winemaker's yeast instead of bakers yeast. I'm also want to try something different than concord grape concentrate. I liked the flavor but it was just too dry. So, a little more research and I'll be at again in the next week or so. By the way, here is what I used:
1 Empty Gallon Jug of Milk
1 balloon
2 cans of frozen Grape Concentrate
1 pkg. of bakers yeast
2 to 3 cups of sugar (the more sugar the higher the alcohol content so look out- I used 2 cups.
You need to thaw the juice and use 2 parts water for each juice and add the sugar. Shake is up until the sugar is mixed and not sitting at the bottom of the container.
Hydrate your yeast as per the instructions on the pkg.
Add hydrated yeast to the jug and shake to mix well
Do not put the lid on the jug, place the balloon over the top of the jug and put about 8 tiny pin pricks in the top of the balloon to allow for venting.
As the yeast begins to eat the sugar the balloon will inflate just enough to fill the top and it will stand straight up. When the yeast is done eating all of the sugar and digesting it's meal the balloon will fall flat. The wine is ready.
I used glass milk jugs with lids that I saved from Whole Foods to pour the wine into and chilled.
I loved the process and drinking wine I made myself is awesome. I have pics on my camera and will add them tomorrow. Next, I'm trying baking my own bread. If I can get the hang of it I will stop buying bread at the grocery store. In the fall I'll be doing preserves and apple butter for the winter. Can't wait!
Give the wine a try and let me know if you have a better beginners recipe. I found mine online somewhere. Take care and always...
Peace!
No comments:
Post a Comment