I published a post yesterday that I took down. It was awful, dismal and down right depressing. It's Spring! Life is blooming all around and I refuse to be a cold lump of coal when my family is so blessed.
Learning to be self sufficient can be overwhelming but taken one step at a time is an adventure. Today I purchased a food sealer. I didn't buy the most expensive one or the cheapest. I can't even say how good it is I just know the brand sold everywhere so I feel pretty good about it. I bought one box of bags to hone my skills (I like that word, Skills!) and by the end of tomorrow I'll be sealing everything in sight. Can you seal kids lips together? I didn't think so. They're only quiet when they eat!
I'll post about my experience when I get a handle on it. By the way, I also checked out a dehydrator but think I'll pass on that. Isn't food sealing and preserves enough? Let me know what you think!
Medication
Nearly everyone I know takes some form of a prescribed medication everyday. In the event of a natural or unnatural disaster there are a lot of folks that will run out of their meds unless they have a plan. If you live in an area prone to hurricanes or tornadoes it may be a good time to talk to your doctor about your options. Disruptions in electricity can cause delays with everything associated with the digital age we live in. This includes prescriptions, c-pap's and oxygen tanks. Do you have a plan?
Blood Pressure, anti-anxiety meds (truly needed during a disaster) are the two that come to mind first. There are options. I recommend speaking with your doctor. If you have been with him/her for a long time you have probably built a good dr/patient relationship. During hurricane and tornado season (not that tornadoes have a season) or any other event you might ask your dr. to double the dosage of your prescriptions for a few months. They could prescribe you a twice daily dose so that you can keep an extra month. Or you may ask if they have extra samples you can keep and store for emergency purposes.
Many anti-anxiety pills have addictive qualities and your doctor may not allow you extras. It really depends on you and your doctor. There are several over the counter remedies that could help get you over the hump in the event of a shortage or power outage. St. Johns Wort, Valerian Root, 5-HTP are a few. These are all natural herbs and when taken in moderation can help ease depression, anxiety and other issues. As always, check with your doctor before you take anything!
Sleeping
There's nothing like trying to fall asleep or getting a good nights rest when life happens! A supplement I like to take at night is Melatonin. It really helps me when my mind starts running in circles as I try to go to sleep. I have so much going on everyday that I rarely have time to think. So at night, when Mike and the kids are asleep, my mind begins to think about what I need to do tomorrow, what I didn't get done today and projects....a SAHM's job is never done (until I find a job that is!)
If you use a c-pap at night and there is a power outage check into small solar cells that will power your machine or maybe a battery pack (if that is possible) that can get you through until the power is back on. This too is something you need to discuss with your doctor.
We can be prepared to have an alternative to "business as usual" and a little forethought can make the difference in our lives or someone we know.
So there are just a few ideas to get you thinking of how you can take care of your family in the event of an "event"! Today I went out and added a few bottles for my first aid supply. I also bought a couple more bottles of multi-vitamins.
I encourage everyone to speak with to your doctor with concerns you may have on how to prepare for the unexpected. As a disclaimer I have to say I am not an expert or medical professional. Any supplements you may consider taking should be discussed with your doctor. I simply hope this brings awareness to a topic I haven't seen covered in any of the blogs I follow. Take Care and as always,
Peace!
No comments:
Post a Comment