Jenna at Cold Antler Farm had a simple post yesterday called "Roll Call" and I had to respond. After reading the comments on her post I laughed when I realized the "stage" my family is in. Everyone is in a different place and it isn't a race by any means. I suppose that's why I like following my fellow homesteaders on the blogosphere (is this a word?).
You guys inspire me. I've learned and laughed so much from your stories. It isn't always easy but most gloss over the daily grind to talk about farm animals being born and flowers in bloom. Jenna writes about the good, bad and ugly. She keeps it real in a refreshing way that doesn't come off as whining when things go wrong. She has a lot going on and does it on her own. All of you inspire me in one way or another and keep me focused. Whether it be gardening, family, home schooling...you name it.
Thanks!
2 comments:
I'm an avid ColdAntlerFarm blog reader and I just had to tell you your post for Roll Call had me in stitches! I'm personally in a strange place in life right now (well not strange, just kinda in between), so I don't have much of a Roll Call myself at the moment, but like you, so enjoyed all the different posts!
Although it's not very impressive farm-wise, I will post for you my Roll call:
Approx: 160 sq ft (bedroom in my parents lovely old home in the Chicago suburbs)
1 me (40 yr old unmarried- by choice, childless- by choice, desktop publisher)
1 82-yr-old dad (I recently moved in with him & am caring for him while he goes through cancer treatment)
1 raised garden bed (my mom, rest her soul, would be so proud! Give me animals, I'm good, but gardening's never been my forté- until now!)
Animals (this list has never in my life been so short):
2 cats (my dad's)
1 boyfriend (yes, he is an animal, but in a good way)
5 bazallion ants that are determined to get into the house, but I'm fighting the fight and almost have those bastards beat!
Several fat squirrels with permanently hungry bellies
Songbirds galore
Fox family who I want to adopt but don't think they'd care for my eating habits (I don't eat fat squirrels)
Hawks & owls that I adore
Oh and
1 Chevy truck (my baby)
1 Harley Davidson Road King Classic (shared custody with my man)
1 S&W .38 Special :)
I guess in life, roll calls change... They grow, they shrink, but I think there's always much to be thankful for!
Cheers~
Thanks Amy! It's awesome that you're taking care of your dad. I hope your garden does better than my so far. In all fairness I haven't been very attentive. I need to get my but in gear.
Oh...we have a few things in common, kind of...I wish I had a 1960's Chevy truck, My husband looks at bikes on CL everyday, and I used to live in Chicago years ago. Small world. Thanks for reading and take care!
Post a Comment