Country Background

Monday, July 23, 2012

We have a tenant!!! Yea...Today a wonderful neighbor came over and signed a one year lease for our cute little house.  She lives a 2 minute walk around the corner.  Who new?  I didn't.  The kicker, is she's a nutritionist, chef and gardener.  She has written 2 books and is into self sufficiency.  It's almost too good to be true, so I'm knocking on wood.  Two days before our garage sale I asked Mike to put the For Rent sign in the front yard.  He didn't want to at first and I even had to wait a day.  He thought it was too soon and given the number of boxes and half packed rooms he was probably right.  I just had a feeling we needed to get it out there.  We got a call within hours from Millie ( my mom's name) and she's moving in.  Her landlord is selling the house and she needed a home and loves the neighborhood.  So...without posting an ad or screening countless applicants, we were able to rent our home to a wonderful person that lives a self sustaining life style and teaches others how to.  Nope, I don't believe in coincidences either.  So, we're beaming.

The Garage Sale

It started on Saturday morning at 5:30 when my alarm woke me up after a restless night.  I snoozed 2 times and finally got up, made the coffee and started dragging stuff in the drive.  We put 8am as the start and a 6:45 we had our first customer.  What?  It didn't stop until 12 when we had to call it quits due to extreme heat.  104 degrees worth of heat and humidity.  We had one sign up at the main road and we didn't stop for 5 hours.  We were able to sell a lot of the stuff we didn't need and most of it went much cheaper than we intended.   Sun and sweat drenched, exhausted from dehydration we used the last of our energy putting stuff at the curb and the rest in the garage.  We went to the beach and soaked in the ocean a couple hours.  It was pure heaven.

This week we have St. Vincent de Paul's thrift store picking up what we don't want, throwing out more "stuff" and packing, packing and then cleaning...10 days and a wake up.  I can hardly believe this is happening.  

2 comments:

Denise said...

Congrats on the renter! One less thing to worry about.

Cheryl at The Cottage Times said...

Thank you! It's so true. Whew!