Country Background

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Tonight, a hope, 10 years in the making, could come true.  Phase 1 anyway.  The quintessential dream. To have a mini farm for my family.  A garden, a few chickens and land.  I grew up in the country and my grandfather was a farmer his entire life.  It's in my blood.  Given, I left the south as soon as I could to see the world and get out of Mississippi.  Nature has been calling me back to my roots and I've been ready a long time.  But things don't happen in our time, do they?  They happen in God's time.  I believe in signs to guide me, prayer for direction and meditation to help take the edge off the stress.   I've done all of the above and tried my best to be patient.  I'm not patient.  It's my life lesson, I'm sure.

After 10 Springs of nesting (compliments of Hotpads and Realtor.com) I made a leap this time.  I drove all the way to Connecticut to see one house specifically and several others later in the week.  My in-laws and our gang would find a multi family on a few acres.  Well, it nearly happened. However, they decided once I was up there and found the property to be a great deal, they didn't want to come and we should look on our own.  :(  I was perplexed.  I had focused so much of my energy and time on finding the perfect place for a retired couple and a young, busy family.  So as I went to pick my husband up from the airport I was sent the email  telling me this.  Mike flew up to see the house with me and the boys.  It was sold at a sick low price to the highest bidder.  Obviously, not us.

I put so much into finding a home.  I received and sent countless properties to my mother in law.  Every spring   the nesting bug would bite and we would talk about how great it would be to go back north.  Yes, it would be cold.  We would bundle up and use a wood burning stove to offset heating costs.  Invest in a snowblower, find a quaint corner of New England to live the rest of our lives.  Every spring passed with no move, just dreams.  I did something out of the ordinary this year and drove up to see properties.  Now, my husband has 2 interviews lined up. My sister in law offered us her rental house until we get acclimated to the area and find a little slice of heaven.   Timing is everything.  Is it a perfect fit?  No.  Of course I would rather move into a home of our own.  Is it a perfect opportunity?  Absolutely!

Phase II - Buy a little farm and move one final time....

I have lived everywhere. California, Germany, Colorado, Mississippi, Chicago, Michigan and I've traveled even more.   I was single then.  Now, I'm much older and none the wiser.  I can't imagine settling at any age.  I want more for my sons and we're ready for a change.

I'm one of the old 99'rs.   I have looked for jobs and yet due to my real estate background, I don't fit into the normal demographic for employers..,I'm spit balling here, because I really don't know, I just assume that's it.  I mean 15 years in all facets of real estate has amounted to a call center job and a low, low level marketing job in wally world.  Am I capable of more?  You better believe it.  How does a person convey this to a potential employer through a piece of paper that is being scanned by a computer for key words and phrases?  
If you don't know someone, forget it.  That's the bottom line. My last job was through a friend whose husband worked in HR.   If my husband is offered a position, once we get settled, I'll be in class.  CNA first just to make money then a degree.
What is wrong with where I live?  The crime rate, the heat and lack of seasons, the unemployment rate, my neighborhood, palmetto bugs, mosquitoes, fleas...What's right with it?  My in'laws are here.  My little house is sweet.  It's not too far from the Parkway/NC.  Hmmm.....My kids were born here.  That's about all I can think of.
Tonight I started watching Mystic Pizza. I saw the small town and realized we would be moving to a town where the only people we know is my sister in law and her husband.  An adjustment to be sure.  The truth is, I have found more truth with my fellow bloggers than many friends along the way.  If all goes well, I can look forward to moving heavy furniture, packing tons of boxes and one Huge yard sale.  
One room at a time and then find a renter for our house.  Whew....
If you know anyone in eastern Ct. I'd love to hear from you.

Stay cool, be safe and Happy 4th of July!

Peace!!!
 

No comments: