Country Background

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Confessions of an Eco-Friendly Poser!

It's been an interesting few weeks. I live on the east coast of Florida and the oil spill has made me realize how I can be a better consumer. By definition, my family aren't your typical consumers. I shop at thrift stores and not malls, I try to make most of my meals from scratch. I have never purchased a microwave. I did receive one as a wedding gift 11 yrs ago and got rid of it a couple years ago. My husband and kids thought it was the end of the world! How would we warm up hot pockets and make popcorn? What about frozen meals? It was the beginning of home cooked meals with the frozen dinners replaced by frozen vegies and meats...maybe a frozen pizza or two...but no more frozen meals.
We recycle too...but you know what? Not like we should. Vegie cans end up in the garbage, and because I don't have a dishwasher I used paper plates and plastic cups to keep from washing so many dishes. I would really love to have a dishwasher but my kitchen is too small! It's really small. I've seen women on HGTV complain their 10x10 kitchen is cramped. Ha! My kitchen is from 1949 and has 75 square feet. I can't open the fridge and the stove at the same time and when one is open it blocks the sink. Sorry, I'm babbling!
I've been really bad. As I watch the oil spill coverage and read blogs on facebook from the Boycott BP site I realize I'm a poser. I don't even like to write it but it's true. I suddenly find myself looking at all of the plastic products in my home and they are all made from oil. This doesn't even include the products I buy at the grocery store. I was talking to my husband the other day about automakers and how this is such a prime opportunity for American automakers to market their hybrid and electric vehicles. What a perfect platform to jump start our auto industry. Just one thing though. They need to start using metal again and stop with all the plastic parts on cars. That would help bring our steel manufacturers back. Then it hit me like a rock on the head (because thats what it takes for me), whenever we buy another car, we should get a hybrid or electric. What a novel idea! You see, I have been a poser. I'm the one that always looks at other people driving the hybrids and thinking "isn't that great for them"? So I was telling my husband this and he completely agreed.
So now recycling takes on a whole new meaning. I started shopping this week with a new purpose. I am reducing the amount of plastic products I buy when grocery shopping, including no more plastic cups or paper plates. Recycling is more important than ever. I am also very pro American products. If we really need it I try and find American made first. Thankfully this is something I have always done.
I am worried about the impact the spill will have now and in the future. That is why I am confessing my environmental offenses and re-evaluating our lifestyle.
I would love to know what your families use to be frugal and eco-friendly. It's late and I am getting long winded. Thank you for reading and I hope all is well with you and yours!
Peace,
Cheryl

No comments: