Good intentions pave roads...that's what I have always heard anyway! I have to put into motion a business that was on the cusp of becoming a reality when we had to throw the breaks on. It seems mother nature may have a plan of her own and now we are at the whim of a gusher and it's creators inability to stop it. We live in northeastern Florida. The enormity of this disaster has put me through every emotion possible. In the beginning I was in disbelief. The pictures on tv and the internet brought tears to my eyes. So much death...I wanted to help and be a part of a greater solution. So I joined a group that is boycotting BP and its affiliates. I changed the way I run the household, with more deligent recycling, purposeful shopping. So I know I can make a difference, however small it may be.
The media is being blacked out and there is a no fly zone over the spill area. Here comes frustration and anger. They lied to us about how much oil is spilling and every week it increases. The attempts to cap it are left to the relief wells that may or may not work. The toxins are deadly to marine life and humans and the oil is going to cover everything in its path. It is too much to bare even from here. My brother lives in Pensacola a ways from the beach and can smell the oil and fumes from his house. This is too real to be ignored and the media has stopped covering it as much. They have been blocked by BP and the military. People are being arrested if they are found taking pictures. This isn't the America where I was born and raised. This isn't the America I defended in the Army years ago and it scares me to my core. What is happening out there? How bad is it? Will we find out something terrible too late to get out of here? If only I had the correct information so that my husband and I could make a rational decision of what we should do. I want to leave and the sooner the better.
I'm looking for a farm to rent or a lease option to buy. We have a mortgage on our home here and have to rent it. I doubt it will sell in this market. If we stay, how long do we wait? I don't want us to be caught in a mass evacuation with droves of folks leaving south Florida. I want to be ahead of the pack, settled into a small comfortable home on a sliver of land(with a barn!). Mike says I'm being over the top. I will concede that. However, I have wanted to move up north for the past 5 years. I miss the seasons and I love Autumn. It is by far my favorite time of the year.
The business we are going to open is a Home Health Care Agency. We can open one anywhere. We just need a place to live (with a barn)!
I can't do it here. I don't want my son's to have their future dictated by the EPA saying what days they can go out and play. I don't want to worry about the water I'm drinking and the food I'm eating.
If I am over the edge just say it. I'm a strong girl and can take criticism (when done nicely :). If you feel I am on the mark please let me know AND if you know of a farm for rent or lease to buy PLEASE let me know. I know I only have 2 followers but you are so grounded it would good to hear your thoughts.
Maybe this is natures way of telling us to get the heck out of here and head north. Maybe we didn't start the business when we could have for a reason. Maybe, I'm looking for any excuse I can think of to move to Vt. or Pa. anywhere in New England. Sooner or later, we're moving. That I know for sure!
3 comments:
cheryl - too strange how i stumbled on your blog and our thoughts are so similar. your blog only gives confirmation, that i, too, maybe am not so weird or over the top. i was reading the news earlier about the economy, thinking about the spill and how it's being covered less, watching all the psychotropic advertisements on commercials during the news, watching obama eat hamburgers and fries while he's pushing a national healthcare agenda and had the same feeling. "i've got to get out of here". it does seem the country is crumbling, values are degrading and we're heading towards a bleak future. but... breathe... get your plan, listen to your heart, have your husband onboard and do what you can. you'll get there. you're not the only one and it does feel better to know there are other like minded folks. keep writing, keep dreaming, keep acting. you'll have your barn, your seasons and the garden. i'm sorry about the spill and how it's effecting you. it is angering about the blackout and military intervention to say the least. i'm really sorry. keep looking forward.
Hopeful, you are a breath of fresh air. Thank you so much for your comment. My husband heard on the radio today that some of the media are getting complaints about too much coverage of the spill and are calling it "Slick Fatigue". I'll quote my 8 yr old son, "WHATEVER!"
Thank you for your support. It means so much! I'm focusing on moving forward and north.
Peace!
I am going to confess something...I had no idea they were restricting pictures etc. How awful! It's a bad siutaion all the way around,heartbreaking in so many ways but feeling as if you might not have all the best and accurate information...~~shudder~~~
I wish I had a suggestion or info re: a place with a barn. I hope you are able to find the place of your dreams. Actually, there was ahouse listed in Buffalo area (Lancaster NY) on 19 acres with a house and a barn for $300,000 I think.
Whatever you decide, try not to jump too quickly out of fear. I understand your reasoning...I just know that making big changes when in crisis mode can bring heartache.
-Peace and prayers.
Post a Comment