I need to start the blog by saying we live in a nice quiet older neighborhood. A nice area. It's a half loop where kids can play and ride their bikes and folks walk their dogs everyday. There are alot of elderly and families around.
This week has been filled with so many life lessons for my son. He made a neighborhood friend over these past few months and she is a sweet girl. Alex and Brian were playing at her house (about 3 doors down) from us and came home late. He is learning the art of being home when we tell him! His friend came over with him and they were all playing in the backyard. It was getting dark and I told them she needs to go home and was asking if she wanted me to walk her home. That is when the drama began. Alex and her were in a discussion with Alex visibly upset and when I saw her she was too. They asked to talk a minute longer. I told them to hurry and her mom came by at that time. The kids came in and Alex was so upset saying he was going to tell her "secret". She was upset and nearly crying. None of us parents knew what was going on. As soon as they left Alex was...mad and upset. She wanted to tell him a secret but was afraid. Alex begged her and when she spilled the beans he didn't know how to handle it. Who would at 9 years old.
This young, beautiful girl told my son that her dad smoked cocaine and hit her with his fist. She told Alex it was in her arm...Alex immediately said he was "going to tell us because what her dad was doing was against the law." He is my cutie and I'm so proud of him. It scared the dickens out of her. She was crying that the police would take her family apart and her mom didn't even know. (shame on this mom) This girl thinks she is protecting her mom. Alex thought we would call the police. Mike and I talked to Alex and decided it was best for Chloe if she had a safe place to come to and he should tell her to come over anytime she needed to talk or if she was scared. I told him he can still be friends with her but can't go to her house anymore. He went to her house before this happened and said there were a few men at the house acting wierd and the house was full of smoke. Chloe was at her grandmothers where she spends almost every weekend. Thank Heavens!
Children deserve to be kids. I thank God we have very open communication with our boys. I have a rule that I started when they were old enough to talk; you can tell us anything and we won't get mad, we'll talk about it. If you do something or break something and tell me before I find out about it you won't be in trouble. It set a great foundation for us. To this day, no matter what it is they come to me with anything and everything.
For now I want Chloe to know she has a safe haven here. If anything happens and she needs us then we'll call the authorities. I'm also going to keep an eye on the comings and goings from that house. If I suspect even once that he is dealing from his house I'll call the police. I don't want Chloe in that environment. She obviously needed to tell someone. That is too much of a burden at any age, especially 9.
Going back about 2 months ago I was working in the yard and 2 little cuties came up to me. Different neighbors. They are brother and sister ages 4 and 5. It wasn't long and their mom came up and introduced herself. They just moved into the neighborhood and the kids loved playing with Alex and Brian. The same week the neighber came over and I invited her in while the kids played outside. She started telling my husband and I how her husband was an ex convict and was arrested for making, using and selling Meth. I don't know what would prompt a person to tell a neighbor such graphic details about her life. She too was addicted to meth and crack. Even as she spoke to us she was pulling at the skin on her arms and partially covering her face as she spoke. She left her husband a year or so ago and lived on the streets with her kids ages 15, 11, 4 and 3. Her mother offered to take care of the kids but (in my opinion she was selfish) she said she had to have her kids with her. I haven't seen much of her in the past month of so. The last time her daughter and boyfriend knocked on our door at dusk asking if we had seen the 5 year old. He was missing. I immediately got my keys and was heading out the door when the oldest came back to tell me he was ok and hiding. He was scared! Of what?
What is wrong with our culture, society...I am of the mindset it is better to not know your neighbors. Now I can't help but wonder, on a spiritual level, if these children need us to know them and look out for them in case they need us.
This is the first community I have lived in where folks walking their dogs will stop and say hello and chat with each other. I enjoy it here. It is such a shame there are 2 bad apple parents in the midst of a nice quiet neighborhood. I want to talk to Chloe's mom but don't want her to get trouble. The mom needs to let her daughter know that she's aware of the dad's addiction and hitting. What do you think? Please let me know. I have been praying for direction and for the families. Thanks for reading.
I thought homeschooling my boys would protect them from this type of lifestyle. This is a lesson for all of us.
4 comments:
Oh wow..I am so sorry that your son had to hear about his friend's dad..and so very sorry for these children in your neighborhood living in such circumstances. It's heartbreaking. I think you are doing such a wonderful thing being a safe haven. Lots of prayers for you all.
Hi Stacey,
Thank you so much for your kind words and prayers. Kids have to grow up too fast. I am praying about calling the authorities to do a wellness check on the family. I learned more news about the girls dad today. He was caught by his wife cheating in their home and continues to drink and do drugs. I don't want to jeapordize any family, but there is a child involved. It's a fine line. Thank you for your Prayers!!!
As always, Thanks for reading!
Cheryl
Wow Cheryl. This is just so sad. The best thing to do is pray. We live in a very sinful world and honestly, it scares me. But I do believe in hope. I will be praying for this little girl....and your son did the right thing!! You're one great mom!! Happy Mother's Day :)
Thank you so much and Happy Mother's Day!
Post a Comment