Country Background

Friday, January 1, 2010

Bank vs. Credit Union

Everyone who reads this blog fits into one of two categories; Either you have been directly impacted by the current economic downturn, or you know someone who has. It's difficult to go thru layoffs and foreclosures or see it happen to friends and loved ones. Those of us who experienced layoffs can barely understand if we will be extended or not and if not, WHY? I believe I will be one of a million that the 6 week extension does not apply to. I don't know how this works and can't say if anyone really does. My calls to the state unemployment line are dropped due to call volume always requesting I try again. Emails to my state representatives and senators seem to fall on deaf ears. The media needs to put a face on the unemployment numbers. The families that have lost their lives and don't know where to turn. There are stories that need to told...If you have one, please share it with me...perhaps we can pull together and help each other out. Even in small ways. Watching the kids, bringing over staples to get families by. Every one has a gift and we can barter in our own way! It doesn't have to involve money but it does require getting involved.

The single most important fact for all of us to remember is that we have choices. We live and exist by a structure that allows us freedom and choice. As consumers, we have the greatest power in our society. We can decide where we shop, who we bank with and if home ownership is as important as many of us were raised to believe.

The banking industry won the lottery this year past. They aren't sharing it with consumers and are creating fees and higher interest rates that seem like something out of a Sci Fi movie. My husband and I have made the decision to fire our bank and begin banking with a local credit union.

The fact the credit unions are not-for-profit offer many reasons for consumers to change the status quo. Everyone of us has experienced new fees, interest rates and terms by our banks. They are trying to make money in every possible way imaginable before new regulations come into effect this year.

Credit Unions are backed federally and insure accounts up to $250,000. Yes, I know! I would love to have that kind of money too. They have minimal fees and their interest rates are lower than banks for loans. Savings, money markets and Cd's earn more money and...because they are not-for-profit, they are more competitive than banks! The banking industry would have a nice wake up call if all of their accounts were closing and moving money to credit unions. Think about it! Do your research and decide for yourself. My family is doing this as one of our resolutions.

One of the major department stores we all know is trying to put every small business and competitor out of business at all costs. If we lose small businesses the heart of our country will be lost. It is sad that America really doesn't make or build anything anymore. The second decision I made for my family is to begin using local farmers markets for all of my produce and meats. I want to support local farmers. My grandparents were farmers and lived off the land. I want to support those who continue to do this. Because I know how to garden from my childhood I am going to have a vegetable garden this year and have 3 chickens for fresh eggs.

Our third resolution is to become less dependent on mass produced food and products. My next blog will include our use of thrift stores and craigslist.
I would love to hear your thoughts and comments. It is my hope and prayer, no matter where we live, we can impact one life this year and make a difference.

Peace!

No comments: