Country Background

Monday, November 25, 2013

I'm learning the difference between homesteading and playsteading

 Homesteading or Playsteading?  It isn't a hobby, the flavor of the week or a "how sweet" moment.  It isn't beautiful pictures of perfect homes nice and tidy.  It's the burns on my hands from the wood burning stove because I'm clumsy and a sore back and arms from stacking wood.  The cats are cute wrestling and playing cat and mouse and we love our home more than ever, if that's even possible.  The cold doesn't bother us.  State Farm not covering the furnace blowing does.  The dishwasher breaking somehow while we were out of town for 3 days, %^$&# (cleaning up our house to rent again) due to negligent tenants was "a royal pain and bad" (I'm being nice here).I know this is a run on sentence.  I just don't have the energy to sort it out right now!  So it's not a bowl of cherries, I still find time to eat apple pie! 

So when the coal furnace blew a pipe and insurance decided not to cover it we installed a wood stove, had 3 cords of wood delivered and it was covered in manure.  It was fun to stack and added that extra special "organic" ambience to the house as we stacked a load in the mudroom. The chimney sweep inspected and cleaned the chimney.  Thank Heaven we got a clean bill of health (and I mean that, "Thank Heaven!")  

Things that have to get done, get done.  

Other things...  

I'm sure this is breaking some sort of age old lore but all the leaves aren't raked and there's a couple piles waiting for the snow to come.  

Things that bring the most satisfaction that I never read in a book.  I can start a fire in my wood stove in minutes, Mike is an expert at splitting wood for kindling and loves it.  Crock meals rock, especially when I have to work 2nd shift.   

I used to make homemade laundry detergent and it clogged up my laundry drain.  I don't worry with it.  I buy the cheapest detergent and move on. One time I dabbled at making homemade wine.  I convinced myself it was pretty good. Right...A deep freezer and dishwasher is on my Christmas list.  I can't decide which one I would like, either way it will be from craigslist, appreciated and used to the max.  
 
Today I'm off so I'm going to sew some ornaments for our tree and figure out something hearty to throw together for dinner tonight. 

As always,
Peace!




No comments: