Country Background

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Sometimes Coal furnaces explode sending plumes of steam and smoke

through the basement billowing up through the beautiful wide plank floor beams from below.  When this happens at 11:20 pm while on my home from work, it makes we for a lightening fast ride home, instant prayers and innumerable thoughts that turn into a blur in an instant.  I pulled into our drive expecting to see flames shooting out the windows of our dear old colonial.  I was happily met at the door by Mike telling me no fire!!! 18 firetrucks drove up and did an amazing job assessing every aspect of what happened and gave us the news that  need a full inspection by a coal furnace inspector and an oil furnace inspector.  Ironically, I made an appointment for the chimneys and systems to be inspected on Halloween.  Equally ironic is the order for 2 tons of coal I cancelled for delivery tomorrow.  It took a month to find a compaIny that would deliver in 3 days and I had to cancel tonight.  I don't even know what we're going to use for our primary heat this winter.  We prefer to use oil as a secondary due to cost.  So, if insurance picks up the tab we'll need to find a reliable furnace that can back up the oil.  We ran the coal all yesterday and it was beautiful.  Nice heat and no complaints, at least until  11'ish tonight.

If you have thoughts on a dual furnace boiler system for heating we're all ears!  I really like coal but we're open to suggestions.

Thanks!



No comments: