It's another year and so much happened that I'm not sure where the year went? Moving, School, Home school, Moving, Having a Horrible Fraud of a tenant kicked out, settling in to Connecticut. Driving 2400 miles in one week to work on our house in Fl. (re: said horrible tenant) looking for another tenant as we cruise into the new year and I'm grateful. So grateful for my family, our health and happiness.
We took our bumps and bruises with this move and are still trying to find a steady gait but we're here. This year I look forward to beginning my career in a completely new field, buying a small farm, hanging out with Mike and the kids and hopefully spending time with my daughter before she whisks off after college. Trading in boogie boards and sandals with dirt bikes and well, there's always music in the house. Always! We are so very blessed and I am thankful for it each and every day.
I should have posted plenty since we moved. I downloaded 1200 pictures from my phone today. I had no idea. On weekends we do day trips getting lost down every imaginable road we find to beautiful to drive by. The cape on the last weekend of the summer before school, from Mystic to Boston one beautiful Saturday. Everything is so close here. NYC is 2 hours, Boston about the same. Rhode Island is 5 minutes away and beautiful New England landscape everywhere I look. Hills and curves, 4 seasons, starry nights and unfortunately even hurricanes one week followed by snow exactly one week later
Learning about homesteading and applying new skills early last year helped me out so much when Hurricane Sandy hit. We went without power 5 days and water for 6. I stocked up the pantry and added water and candles, lighters and extra gas. Bought a small generator that powered the fridge. I realized how much I didn't know and what I need to focus on. Every night I we got used to the quiet. The only sound was the buzz of generators at neighbor's houses. Some had huge generators, others like us had small ones and ran it during the day. So we had our coffee in the morning! I started getting used to no television. At night we went to bed earlier than ever, so did the boys. If we didn't buy the propane hibachi and extra gas, water and provisions we would have been hurting. We powered our phones in the car and that was probably the biggest pain in the neck. We didn't run out of gas and the stations here didn't either. It's called "The Quiet Corner" for a reason. Not to many people live here.
We were out of the loop for the most part and when I found out the brunt of the storm hit New Jersey and Staten Island I kind of tuned out. I didn't have cable or internet. I knew it was awful and I kept asking myself, "Why would people stay in the path of a storm coined the storm of the century?" People had over a week to prepare or leave to a shelter. Then the anger set in, after the millions that were directly affected by the
storm, when aid didn't come when they needed it. I have to say, for medical attention that's one thing. But it takes a long time, if ever to rebound from this type of storm. Just look at Katrina. I think when meteorologists warn about a storm people think it won't be that bad or it wont happen to them. The one true thing I know is if you think you need one, buy two. If you think the power might be out a couple days, plan on a month and always fill up your gas tanks and buy extra gas containers and keep them filled up! Never let your tank get below a quarter tank. If you can buy more food and water, do it. You can never have enough water.
I need to hone my skills on outdoor cooking and I didn't try laundry. By the time I got the swing of dinners the power came back on. I'm creating a menu/meal plan that is realistic to my family. I'm not even sure exactly what that is but will post as I go.
I've babbled on enough tonight. I wish everyone a healthy, happy, prosperous New Year.
Peace!
No comments:
Post a Comment