I created this blog with hopes of moving to the mountains of North Carolina by now. Dreams of a few acres of bliss with rolling hills and mild weather. A cozy home for my family warmed by a wood burning stove in the winter and cooled by summer breezes in the summer. A garden to eat from, trails to hike and bike. Nature to enjoy. What could be sweeter? Hmm?
So what is a cottage? Alex says it's a log cabin in the mountains surrounded by a forest. Brian thinks of a flower garden and homemade dinner with meatloaf, peas and mac-n-cheese. I think of comfy homes that are made to live in and not look at.
So a year later, we are still in Florida and looking for land but realizing while we are here lets plant a garden and learn how to homestead for when we do move.
I planted my garden. I have string beans, purple hull peas, cucumbers, squash, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, bell peppers, chives, cilantro, rosemary and 3 fruit trees: pear, peach and orange as well as blackberries!
Next!
Rain barrels
Rustic fence around front yard
Well pump (need manual/electric pump? I don't know if this is possible.
Chicken coop for 5 or so cool chicks!
Solar Whole House Fan (Mike doesn't like this idea/however, in the event of a long term power outage this would be a great idea...
I also have an idea to create a small green house out of old house windows.
4 big oaks in the back taken down (to plant more in the back)
A little at a time and a year from now I'll have to be pried away from here. I feel I'm on a path and I don't want to squander time away waiting to find a home that could be the one I'm in. So, as our little cottage on a quarter acre evolves I'll post pics and stories along the way and hope to make a few more friends on my blog.
Wherever you are, be where you are!
Peace!
2 comments:
That's wonderful! It's so important to enjoy where you are instead of trying to get to somewhere else. I think as a society we're taught to strive for something bigger, better or different. We can waste a lot of time dreaming of tomorrow instead of living today. More power to you! Enjoy what you're creating! I look forward to reading more about your progress.
Thanks Stacey! I'm really enjoying it. You're right. There is a general mentality not to settle. The funny is, I'm accomplishing more now than I have in the past 5 years.
Thank you for your kind words and for following me.
Post a Comment