Country Background

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Fresh Starts

Resolutions never really pan out and I have a new take on beginnings. Doesn't it happen every day? Each day we're allowed a "do over''.

We moved into our small house on a quarter acre 6 months ago. We barely got moved in before school started for me and the kids. Now that I'm on winter break I'm trying to get a lot of projects done and reading a couple of books. Before I got married I was leaning toward finding a home on a little patch of heaven that was efficient with and without electricity. I enjoy a simpler life style.
Isn't it funny how kids and careers can distract us. It did me. Lets see, 2 kids, 5 cats, 3 dogs, 1 hamster and 3 houses made the past 1o years a whirl wind! We always have something going on in our family. We lost some of our pets along the way and are down to one house. A beautiful little cottage. At least it will be when I'm done it!
My innate passion is design. We are painting the exterior of the house. It's a big project but not nearly as difficult as you would think. I will post pictures as we go. The weather hasn't been cooperating. We almost finished the front of the house and the rain came. So the neighbors got to see a mess for 2 weeks.
We found the original wood shutters to the house and I was happy to rip off the black plastic ones that did nothing for the white stucco and black roof. So the new roof is a weathered brown and the house color is called Gold Rush. The shutters are painted a warm blue that has a hint of lavender in it. A bit french provencal but much warmer. As soon as my shutter dogs come in we'll get them up and dress the girl up a bit.

No comments: