Country Background

Friday, February 7, 2014

Refinishing Wide Plank Floors

A day after Christmas I couldn't take it any longer.  I grabbed a scrapper and began painstakingly peeling off the paint.  I knew it would be time consuming but how could anyone paint over wide plank wood floors that have been walked on since 1750.  
Every beautiful wide plank floor is painted ugly pink taupe!
I started with the foyer, don't even get me going on the wall color!
First layer taupe then blue, black stuff, dirt, hair and brown paint.
 
Making Progress

Once I reached real wood I started using an orbital sander to get the dirt out of the grooves
and smooth out rough edges.


How many feet walked these old tavern floors and how could anyone cover this beautiful grain with paint? 

Here's a close up of one of the many square nails.
A lot of work to go but its looking better than I hoped!

No comments: