Country Background

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Being Prepared for...Week 21 of the Preparedness Challenge

Let's see?  Week 21 of the Preparedness Challenge and this week was work = stress.  I can't say I worked toward my goals with the exception of finding and buying water purification tabs.  I can't believe I've lived in Florida over 12 years and just found out about them.  I thought I had to get some sort of filtration system and tons of filters.  Alex, my 11 year old set me straight.

My garden is producing tomatoes and that's it.  I have to find time to pull up what is left and try for a fall garden.  It was just so hot and humid.  I think by watering as much as it needed leached out nutrients.  Lesson learned.  I have to plant earlier and now the temps aren't so extreme.  Perhaps that is something to add to being prepared.  I'm learning through my garden and also my experience.

What happens if a storm hits and the majority of the population don't even have water much less food.
Mike and I were talking about the event of a storm knocking out power.  If the power were to go out for even a week it would have a horrible impact.  How long would it take to have grocery stores up and running again.   How many would keep using their toilets (with no water turned on) only to have a complete mess when the water is turned back on.   I didn't know this until a month ago.

I don't even want to get into the gloom and doom of America's currency and economic status.  I'm focusing on being prepared for a big storm.  Keep it simple, otherwise it starts to get a little to sci-fy!

Next week is home school, work and the well pump.  I'm questioning manual vs. electric/manual?  Obviously, an electric well pump serves no purpose when the electricity goes out.  A manual pump is much cheaper.  Hmm?

What do you think?

No comments: